ETMU promotes multidisciplinary research on ethnic relations and international migration in Finland. To reach its purpose, ETMU:
- promotes interdisciplinary collaboration and dialogue between researchers, research institutions, universities, and other interested parties,
- strives to influence policy-making and public discussions in matters related to migration, ethnicity, and integration,
- promotes research and educational initiatives related to its field,
- publishes a scientific journal (NJMR) and a popular scientific blog (Liikkeessä yli rajojen -blog),
- provides the most important communication channel for information sharing on current research, events, publications etc. in the field,
- organizes scientific conferences, seminars, and other events.